Best tips for caring for solid oak furniture
Posted on September 07 2022
Oak furniture is the best for your home because it has a natural finish and an eye-pleasing color that goes with almost any style.
However, it is important to take good care of them so that you extend their useful life and continue to look beautiful in your home.
For this, it is important that you consider all the necessary care that a material as delicate as oak requires, because if you do something inappropriate you can end up damaging it and this is not what you want.
So you need to follow the best advice to take care of your oak furniture and thus ensure that it looks like new no matter how many years have passed.
How to clean oak furniture?
Cleaning natural oak must be done very carefully. If you have an oak bookcase, chest of drawers or table, follow the advice below:
- Use a soft microfiber (lint-free) duster or cloth to remove dust when doing daily cleaning.
- Always clean gently and without rubbing, following the direction of the grain
- You can use a soft, slightly damp cloth, but then you must dry with a soft, dry cloth, avoiding getting the wood wet
- Never use harsh chemicals, abrasive cleaners, ammonia or acetone-based products
Additionally, to keep your oak furniture hydrated, it is recommended that you apply a colorless natural furniture wax every 6 months.
Protect your oak furniture
Cleaning is not the only way to maintain to the oak furniture in good state. You also need to protect them against external agents that can affect them.
Humidity and heat are the main enemies of natural wood because they can cause irreparable damage.
It is important that the space where you have your oak furniture has low humidity, because excess water can cause the furniture to be damaged. That is why it is recommended that you install a dehumidifier in the room during rainy days.
When it comes to heat, it is essential that you keep your oak wood furniture away from the heater and out of direct sunlight.
The heat can cause the wax or varnish on the furniture to deteriorate and also decrease its shine and color. Similarly, it is recommended that you do not place hot containers on the wood.
General care of oak furniture
Your oak furniture he needs you to take care of him and treat it as it deserves, since being a natural element it is susceptible to damage by external agents. Therefore, you should follow general recommendations to preserve them:
- If you are going to serve drinks, use a coaster or tablecloth and do not place the glasses or cups directly on the furniture.
- Do not drag any object or element on the surface because you can damage the wood
- If you are going to move the piece of furniture, remember that it is fragile so you must move it carefully. Wear gloves and be very careful to avoid twisting which may cause a malfunction.